Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Perp , victim , or both ?


I am almost at a loss for words. I was watching the news, I think it was ch 5, to be honest I was so stunned by what I saw and heard, that the channel escapes me. A young thug goes in to a small grocery store on Prospect, pulls a gun to rob the guy behind the counter, the intended victim pulls his own gun, shoots the robber who stumbles outside and dies in the parking lot. A woman is being interviewed afterward, it was that short interview that left me stunned and almost unable to write or even utter a single word. Okay, not really that stunned, I've got plenty to say.

The woman is visibly upset, crying in fact. She tells the reporter how she ran to help the young man who was bleeding out in the parking lot. Then she says an amazing thing. " He ( the clerk) didnt have to kill him. He could have just wounded him." I sat staring at the television. This woman, heavy set, clearly poor, living in the epicenter of a Kansas City war zone, during one of the city's bloodiest seasons in recent memory, and she feels compassion for the guy who tried to rob the store. Wow, that is amazing. I doubt anyone short of Mother Theresa or the Baby Jesus could have mustered up the anguished compassion that this woman displayed. I actually backed the DVR up to hear it again, to be certain.


So I'm sitting staring at the TV , trying to wrap my head around what I've heard. One short sentence is running on a loop over and over in my mind, a small voice, just repeating the same thing over and over, in reaction to the Christ like compassionate words the woman spoke. All I could manage to say, at first just in my mind, and finally out loud, was.............Are you fucking kiddin me? He should have wounded him? Better yet, he should have just reasoned with him, or thrown gum drops and skittles at him. Maybe the group that was up the street holding a prayer vigil could have come down and prayed for the young guy. Clearly this young man was poor, underprivileged, probably no decent role models. The robbery victim should have just handed over the money, wished the young man godspeed, and hoped that he wouldn't kill him for his kindness. At the very least, the clerk could have just shot the gun out of the kids hand, like in the old Lone Ranger TV show.



Then I follow a link from TKC over to Alonzo Washington's site. He tossed out a two or three sentence comment on the story, here it is "KC Store clerk kills robber. If that's how it went down. The story sounds a little fishy. This store fought crime in a big way. Although, if you would have asked them to support anti-crime efforts in the area they would not have given you a dime." Once again I was momentarily struck mute. Seriously, The story sounds fishy, what does that even mean? A conspiracy, subterfuge, a cover up, what? The young man was trick or treating for UNICEF, the clerk shot him for no reason, slapped a throw away piece in the guys hand and shoves him out the door.


It all seems pretty cut and dried to me. Robber pulls gun, robber gets shot, robber stumbles outside, bleeds out on the sidewalk. It's a wasted life, and it's awful that someone died, but this little prick isn't the victim in all of this. I know Alonzo Washington works with the police, and some of the African American community. I realize that the woman who helped the dying would be robber was probably traumatized and in shock. So I'm not without some sympathy, that said I would be a total fraud if I ignored the giant fucking elephant in the room. It's called accountability, you know accepting responsibility for your actions. It's called laying the blame at the feet of the person responsible. I think having spent 5 years and change in prison, being accountable for my decisions, gives me some authority on the subject.

I dont care that the kid came up poor, I dont give a shit if the deck was stacked against him due to economic and racial disparity. Look, it's a fact that African Americans, in general are poorer and have less opportunity than whites. It's wrong, it's unfair, and it shouldn't be that way. And every single time some young inner city African American fucks up, someone will come to their defense, blame it on society, race, poverty, the cops, and there is a part of me that sympathizes, up to a point. But when you throw guns in to the mix, when someone gets shot, killed or harmed, my sympathy usually extends to the victim, not the gunman.



Anytime someone dies a violent death it is tragic, it's a waste, it's sad. That being said, if you decide to stick a pistol in a strangers face to take what is theirs, then you run the risk of getting killed. You automatically lose your right to play the sympathy card. My attitude has changed over the past year or so. You can go back through my archives and see the evolution. I am seeing things in a slightly different light. I am not so quick to give people a pass based on race or poverty. I'm beginning to think that maybe part of the problem is just that, a perpetual pass.

I know there will be the typical reactions from some folks who read this. There will be the racist morons who will take what I've said as an indictment upon every person of color breathing air, and there will be the knee jerk reaction from the other side of the coin, I'm just an out of touch middle aged white guy talking out of his ass about something he knows nothing about. Both reactions would be dead wrong. I dont have on blinders, no rose colored glasses here. The police dont do enough, the city government doesn't do enough, the school district doesn't do enough, white society as a whole does not do enough, and I'm sorry but the African American community in this city doesn't do enough either. Nobody is doing enough to change the way these young killers are coming up. Making excuses for them, giving them a pass and pretending that the killers are somehow victims by proxy, based on skin pigment and poverty, is complete and utter bullshit. Implying that something is fishy, tossing in a red herring just for shits and grins, also falls under the bullshit category.

18 comments:

  1. Right on brotha. That basically sums up my stance on all of this. I am not a racist and nor are you. But I am fed up with excuses for the crimes. It is morally wrong. Period. Regardless of skin color, economic status or whatever. There are opportunities to enter the mainstream and be productive everywhere. Get up and do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll get no argument from me. I'm no fan of having lots of guns floating around, but if more thugs who tried to commit crimes got dead, maybe there would be less crime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, it's always easy for someone to say what you "should have done" when they aren't the ones being robbed, beat, raped, etc. If these same critics were being attacked, I seriously doubt they would have enough time to gather their wits and decide how to deal with the situation that excludes deadly force.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Folks are always going to give lip service when they aren't the ones involved in a possible "deadlt" situation. If faced with a beating, rape, robbery, etc., these same folks would be heard saying - "I had no choice, it was either him/her or me".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once the oil runs out and the easy motoring stops, this topic won't just be something to blog about from suburbia.

    Unfortunately, the thugs have the practical firearms experience. The average gun totin' white guy might think he's the shit, but there's a better than even chance he'll fumble the safety at the critical moment.

    Breakdowns in society are becoming more frequent. New Orleans, Galveston, hospitals shutting down, crimes going unsolved, police and ambulance response times increasing, infrastructure degradation, horrible roads & bridges etc. etc. etc.

    In the absence of law & order, criminals and gangs will take from those who have. A gun and the will to use it will be a necessity in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "and I'm sorry but the African American community in this city doesn't do enough either."

    And therein lies the problem. All of the others that you named (police, city govt, school district, white society, etc) don't do enough because it's not their job. The African American community is where the root of the problem is and that's where it needs to be addressed. (Actually I prefer the term black because most "African Americans" aren't from Africa nor have they ever been. But I digress).

    ITS GOING TO TAKE BLACK FATHERS STEPPING UP AND BEING FATHERS TO CHANGE THE BLACK COMMUNITY. Statistics provde beyond a doubt that the absence of a father in the home makes all the difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the part that rubbed me the wrong way is if you would have asked them to support anti-crime efforts in the area they would not have given you a dime, which only confirms my point of view that full-time community activists are a big racket. the business already paid taxes, personal and sales, to support the "anti-crime" efforts, and on top of that had to pay for gun(s) and ammo. how much more should they contribute to be safe?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with that 100% M.V.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eddie

    As a black woman I have to say that the Midtown Miscreant was dead on but I have a bone to pick with you. The Miscreant listed all of those elements, not just black folks, because we all live in this society together and what is infecting one will soon pass to the others. Also I would say that a lot of the mess that is infiltrating the black community has its roots in white liberalism.

    If I went with what you said then it is not my problem when a little white child goes missing or a white girl in gets snatched, raped and killed because she and, most likely in these high profile cases, her assailent, do not look like me.

    I can even go futher and pass the buck like you on this issue too. Even though I am black, it's also not my problem because I don't live like the blacks you described. My father was married to my mother before I was conceived and born and raised me; my husband has not run out on our family and none of the children in our family, our siblings or even first cousins are incarcerated. So by that analysis why is it my problem any more than yours? Just becasue they look like me more than they look like you? Well they don't look like me in their actions.

    We all have a roll to play in stopping this. I see the situation like toxins in a pond. Our society has been infected with the toxins of ruthlessness and lack of morals and lack of respect for life. It started with the lax morals of mostly white liberals in the '60s and '70s and, yes, has been pushed to new heigths by the mostly black hip-hop culture.

    And like toxins in a pond, it hits the most vulnerable life in the pool first. Toxins in a pond hit say the frongs and such first. This social toxin hits our poorest and least prepared first, which by and large is the black community.

    And while I am at it some of those condituions that make blacks more vulnerable are by-product or pathologies caused by past and present racisms and discriminations. This is not an excuse but you have to realize that like an abused child, a group of people can not be beaten down for over 300 years and expected to just get over it and function at top ability after just 40 years of efforts, but not always successes, to correct the problems.

    So if you just decide its not your problem it will be soon. Just like that toxin in the pond it can find its way to all of our homes. (look at how after crack devistated poor blacks, poor whites started falling victim to meth) All of our young people are vulnerable to either of becoming thugish or whorish or becoming victims of those who do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous,
    I normally don't respond to anonymous commentors that have a bone to pick with me (even on my own blog) for the sake of time. But today I'll make an exception. :-)

    I said: The African American community is where the root of the problem is...

    You said: "Also I would say that a lot of the mess that is infiltrating the black community has its roots in white liberalism."

    Ok... perhaps that was poor wording on my part or perhaps I used too broad of a generalization. The problems in the black community are ultimately rooted in how we as a race came to populate this country and the long-term generational aftereffects that occurred because of it (collective low self-esteem, breakdown of the family structure through the slave trade, Jim Crow laws, generational poverty, etc).

    So to clarify... problems in the black community of America can best be addressed from within IMHO. That's all I'm saying. Please don't read too far into my comments.
    ______________________

    If I went with what you said then it is not my problem when a little white child goes missing or a white girl in gets snatched, raped and killed because she and, most likely in these high profile cases, her assailent, do not look like me.

    What the heck are you talking about??? What does your scenario have to do with what I said?? I'm referring to problems that occur specifically in the black community where only black people are impacted and black people have the ability to stop. If little white girls are getting snatched by some serial perv, you can't stop it if you're not the one doing it - assuming you're not right there when it happens of course.

    I can even go futher and pass the buck like you on this issue too. Even though I am black, it's also not my problem because I don't live like the blacks you described.

    To whom am I passing the buck?
    What blacks did I describe?


    ______________________

    ...you have to realize that like an abused child, a group of people can not be beaten down for over 300 years and expected to just get over it and function at top ability after just 40 years of efforts,

    I agree. All I'm saying is we (black people) can't depend on other people, specifically our government, to improve our way of life in this country.
    ______________________

    So if you just decide its not your problem it will be soon.

    When did I say "IT'S NOT MY PROBLEM"??? Did you even read what I wrote????

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eddie - what is the name or link to your blog?
    Thanks, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is why I don't read or support Alonzo. He is too close to the problem. An ARMED society is a polite society. If that kid KNEW that shop owner had a gun, or even THOUGHT that shop owner had a gun, he would have went else where or tried car jacking.

    The fact that he got dead makes me feel safer. now we don't have to worry about him getting out of prison and doing it again, or making bail, and doing something worse while waiting for his trial.

    The something fishy "zo smells is his own overblown sense of entitlement.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear thugs of Kansas City. We the law abiding people have now taken up arms. Many of us now have CCW permits and are packing the heat. We will defend our property and family against any and all threats. You have been put on notice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have thought before that "race" issues are more likely "class" issues.
    It doesn't matter if the punk was black or white or brown, he was a punk.
    This is a societal problem but I don't think anyone from the "outside" can help. This relates to what Eddie was saying...except I don't believe it is a black issue...I believe it is a low class issue.
    It takes 5 mins to rob a store...that money is, what,? a week's honest pay? Usually you don't get dead...so why would he punch the clock day after day. Also, did the robber have any thought of living until he was 25 anyway? I think many don't really think that is going to happen...most of their buddies are shot way before 25.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Liz, I'm at EddieButler.com

    @Nightmare, I can't really knock what Alonzo Washington does. Despite coming across as a bit egotistical and a camera hog, he does a lot to try to help as best as he knows how unlike the majority of us who just sit and shake our heads. The "something" he does is better than the "nothing" everbody else does. So I can overlook his other flaws I guess. The "fishy" comment makes no sense to me either.

    I'm hoping that crime will start to drop with more cases like this as the dummy thugs think twice before sticking up people. But with the economy being the way it is and dummy thugs being well... dummies, I'm not holding my breath that it'll happen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Eddie for the clarification.
    It at first sounded like you were saying that it was only a black problem and no one elses. That was what I was responding to when I said "if it is not your problem it will be soon" and the comment about little white kids getting snatched.

    I was basically writing to those who DO think that it is not their problem because this is happening to blacks and that only blacks need be concerned with the solution. And I thought you were one of those.

    Also I am annonymous right now because this was my first time posting to the Miscreant and I haven't set up a name on here yet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm right with you MM. You go armed into a store, well, this guy got what he deserved. My dad worked retail in the ghetto in Oakland for decades and he got held up many times. Some hood was willing to make me dadless for a few hunderd dollars. People with that attitude deserve what they've got coming.
    And its not about race. Black, white, if you're robbing people and you get killed, you deserved it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.