
The thing that I remember most vividly about children I have held, my own and others, is the smell of them. Babies have that smell that comes off their scalp, it's unique to them, like a puppy's breath. They nuzzle in the spot between your neck and shoulder, warm, fragile breath, whispers against your neck, and that baby smell fills your senses. When you hold that child, smell that baby smell, you can't have bad thoughts. You know you are holding one of the best of us, untainted with all of the crap that we accumulate as adults. Casey Anthony went to bed knowing her flesh and blood , her little girl, was decomposing in a trash bag, just a couple of blocks away. This egg and womb donor for Caylee Anthony knew that the wild stories about kidnapping babysitters and airport sitings, were nothing more than smoke and mirrors, she knew all along. The thing I find the most disturbing and the hardest to comprehend, is how Casey Anthony was able to carry such dark secrets and not confess or kill herself. Imagine if you did some unspeakable thing, or just had knowledge of it but did nothing. Could you live with that? Probably not, you would probably confess what you knew, or open up a vein while taking a hot bath, but the knowing would be too much for most of us to bear.
I came up around some not so nice people, I associated with some not so nice people, I was locked up with a fair amount of bad people. The thing is, none of them really scared me, I never felt more than a little wariness. You knew where you stood with them, even the ones who would just as soon kill you as look at you. The Casey Anthony's of this world are different, it's not that they have something most of us don't , it's what they don't have that makes them unique. they don't have that inner voice that would keep reminding them of what they had done.
Now Nancy Grace can extend her Casey Anthony show into another year of milking it for all it's worth. Lets face it, the media especially the Nancy Grace's, zero in on the disdain people feel for the parent, that's what keeps people watching. Nancy Grace has exploited the Caylee Anthony case, feigned concern, offered just the right amount of pseudo outrage. Off camera she is doing back flips, the ratings for her show will soar, and she will cling to this child's death like a pit bull, until a new outrage dujour comes along.
The grandparents will probably continue to claim their daughters innocence, crowds will still probably stand outside their home, acting as ugly and hateful as humanly possible. Other than having found the body, not much will change in this case, all of the actors will continue playing their roles, life will go on for everyone but the little girl. I think that's the second biggest tragedy in all of this, the first being the death of a child. Not much will change. Parents will continue to due unspeakable things to their own children, and much like Casey Anthony, the perpetrators of the most heinous acts will carry on with their day to day activities, absent of the guilt that would drive most of us mad. There is no understanding it, no making sense of it, it's just one of those incomprehensible things , it just is.
Good post.
ReplyDeleteCasey Anthony, Susan Smith...I just can't wrap my mind around how they could do it. Other women who snap, while I don't condone what they've done, I do have more understanding. Casey didn't snap, she just got rid of an annoyance. She reminds me of a small child who can forget that anything ever happened and not understand why people are upset.
I would hope that one day she realizes what she has done, but I won't hold my breath. People like that are too disconnected from the rest of us to ever have that sort of realization.
I had to change the channel during this stuff yesterday - too hard to watch.
ReplyDeleteI do feel sorry for the little girl, having one of my own. I know that she has changed me and my selfish outlook on life. Oh, I'm still a dick at times, but there's nothing I wouldn't do for my little girl, who ain't much older than Caley would have been.
For why Casey(or someone else) did this, who can tell? Some may call her a sociopath or whatever. While I don't always go spouting off scripture, this one comes to mind: "speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron,"1 Tim 4:2. I think that about says it.
Now I gotta go back and do some shit that someone thinks is so important that they pay me for it...
I just got back from putting my 5 year old granddaughter on the school bus. What a joY she is, all full of smiles and love and not a care in the world, so innocent.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if I could live myself if my own daughter murdered my granddaughter as has happened in this case. I sure don't think I'd want to live anymore.
That's one of the reasons why I try not to find out what offenders in my care have done to get into prison. I'm afraid I'll get so filled with rage and disgust that I will either quit my job or do something to get fired. Some of them... I know what they did and they turn my stomach and they have learned that it's not a good idea to stand too close to me.
ReplyDeleteYour first paragraph was just beautiful and poetic and brought a tear to my eye.
ReplyDeleteThe rest of your post did too, but in a negative way.
That sweet baby is in a better place. I know that is prosaic to say, but if what we suspect about her 'mother' is true, then that observation is too.
Darev is right, was just going to say the same thing. That is one of the reasons I got out of corrections. My little girl asked me what this was about when she saw that baby girl on the TV. Trying to explain to an 8 year old about this boiled down to, I don't know why she did what she has been accused of. Some people are just broken.
ReplyDeleteDarev, you know as well as I do, she will not do well in prison, and will probably spend most her days in PC.
Have a good holiday and stay safe,