Just a few quick thoughts on various subjects.
The smoking ban passed, narrowly. The number of things I dislike is infinite. The one pet peeve that tops my list is Government dictating what someone can do with their own shit. The smoking ban is a glaring example of government and private citizens being intrusive and heavy handed. The smoking issue in my not so humble opinion is really cut and dried. It should be up to the owner of the establishment. Before someone starts crying about second hand smoke and all of the health problems smoking causes, save your breath. You do not have a right to breath clean air on someones property. You have a right to not patronize the place, just as a business owner has the right to refuse service , as long as it isn't discriminatory, based on race , gender, et al. If you disagree with me that is your right, and I respect that, unless you disagree with me in my home. If you come to my midtown chalet and tell me I cant smoke, I'll blow a cloud right in your presumptuous face. If you are lucky it will be one of the hand rolled variety, which is just as bad for your air as a Marlboro light, but you wont care. The people who spear headed this smoking ban made a couple of underhanded moves that are going to bite them in the ass. The one that will eventually lead to the vote being overturned in court is the decision to not go after the casinos. You cant tell the little guy they have to follow a certain set of rules and exclude the big boys with deep pockets. Its unfair and frankly more than a little pussified. That said I don't go to bars and the casinos don't float my boat either, so the ban doesn't really affect me. And before you bust my plums for not voting, I cant vote, Ive been convicted of a federal crime, which is reason enough to not agitate me. I could snap. Just kidding.
I got an email from someone that took offense to my Lone Jack post. The person advised me if I ever come to Lone Jack Ive got an ass whippin coming. I intended to post the email here, unfortunately I deleted it in all its misspelled poorly written glory. I am still standing firm in my belief that the whole incident just doesn't ring true. The FBI got involved and since then we have heard nothing, nada, zip and zilch. No composite sketches, detailed descriptions or rewards. Silence often speaks volumes. Lucky for me Im not planning any trips to Lone Jack even though it's really hard to stay away from civil war reenactments and tractor pulls, I'll manage somehow. And Eb, if you are having someone cypher this post for ya, please send me a copy of the email that promised to stomp a mud hole in my ass and walk it dry.
I am sick of hearing about how broke this city is, and then in the same breath Mayor Chicken Little spews more horse shit about light rail going on the ballot . You don't have to be an award winning economist to figure out that light rail wont work in this city. The majority of people who ride the bus do so because they cant afford to drive. Yes there are some people who take the bus to be "Green", but they make up a small percentage. The bus is the preferred mode of transport for poor folks. Riding light rail wont be nearly as affordable as the bus, so the people who need it most wont be able to afford it anyway. Light rail might work if it was extended to JoCo, because commuters from the burbs would probably use it. But the powers that be in JoCo want nothing to do with our illustrious Mayor and his crazy train.
Even though I'm married, I occasionally take a trip to Lone Jack. But thankfully, having a spouse drastically offsets the need of going to Lone Jack.
ReplyDeleteLone Jack can be fun every once in a while, but the alternative is much better.
hehe, emawkc you totally beat me to that one, I mean, oh you know what I mean.
ReplyDeleteyou two quit jackin around.
ReplyDeleteI may disagree with the ban but I will enjoy the results. Now all we have to do is free Tibet
ReplyDeleteAmen. KC wants their cake and to eat it to. We need to all get together and push a measure that would for KC to live without the taxes from cigarettes until they give small businesses their rights back. Something like this:
ReplyDeleteShall the City of Kansas City prohibit the sale of tobacco and tobacco related products, for the purpose of promoting public health by decreasing citizen’s exposure to first and secondhand smoke and creating smoke free environments for workers and citizens through regulation, until all businesses located in the Missouri counties of Jackson, Platte and Clay, and the Kansas counties of Johnson and Wyandotte are authorized by ordinance to permit the lawful use of tobacco products within their establishments?
All the second-smoke idiots would sign a petition to get it on the ballot because its for health and against stinky cigarettes... but the city would flip their lid and have to go on record supporting smoking.
I go to the casinos a few times a year and looked to me like the majority of patrons in KC probably aren't millionaires...not exactly the high roller Vegas types. But that aside, maybe the powers that be (the real millionaires who run the casinos) are taking a lesson from places like Illinois where smoking is banned statewide, including casinos, and consequently casinos are in financial trouble. It's really not hard to figure out why. A lot of gamblers like to smoke and drink while they gamble...they are all vices that go together.
ReplyDeleteWhite wine, pinky lifting elites are just getting started. Next, they're gonna ban your barbecue grills and the like or charge you a carbon tax to use them. We're going to be reading by lightbulbs not much better than candlelight and paying a tax for paper bags at the grocery store.
Meanwhile, the Kennedy types are crying global warming while up in arms over a windmill field that will wreck their view, poor babies, in Nantucket sound.
Makes my blood boil.
Smoking has been banned in bigger cities across the US (LA, Orange County, and New York, just to name a few), and it was just a matter of time before the midwest caught up accordingly. I wholeheartedly agree with the issue of saying it can be done in some places (casinos) but not in others (locally-owned bars), but I seriously can't believe it's taken this long for it to happen here. Hell, they haven't been able to smoke in Cali (inside establishments, I mean) for well over 4 years. They don't have the same problems we do (i.e. with the casinos), but still. They thought it would kill off their business in bars there, and it didn't. I think things should be ok here if things move forward with the ban.
ReplyDeleteAnd the Lone Jack jokes were crackin' me up. You guys are funny dudes. And Donna with her dueling-banjos comment? HA! I needed the laughs this week...thanks you guys!
No worries MM. I've got your back. I'm in Lone Crack a few times a month. I'll find that guy and give him an atomic weggie.
ReplyDelete-E
2015-7-21 xiaozhengm
ReplyDeleteprada handbags
chanel bags
ralph lauren outlet
chaussure louboutin
coach outlet online
nike blazer
michael kors outlet online
toms outlet
air max 95
soccer jerseys wholesale
longchamp pas cher
soccer jerseys
ray ban sunglasses
ray ban glasses
cheap oakley sunglasses
jordan pas cher
prada outlet
abercrombie
cheap ray ban sunglasses
oakley sunglasses
true religion
coach outlet
ray ban wayfarer
longchamp soldes
cheap jordans for sale
mont blanc pen
louis vuitton
louis vuitton pas cher
burberry outlet
michael kors handbag
mcm outlet
chanel online shop
gucci outlet
air max shoes
oakley sunglasses