
Normally any story that includes wieners and convicts usually ends badly and involves dropping soap. Well here is a story with a happy ending, heh. A businessman in Chicago has opened a hot dog joint, he only hires people who have been in the joint. The name, Felony Franks, Home of the Misdemeanor Wiener. Owner Jim Andrews plans to employ only ex-offenders, a workforce that he's found success with at his West Loop-based paper firm. Andrews maintains that he's hired 12 ex-cons for the restaurant, five of whom live in the store's West Side 2nd Ward. Andrews had 588 applicants for the 12 positions and he is looking into franchising. Speaking as a currently unemployed ex-con I think Andrews should be commended for hiring people that most employers pass over. Is it exploitative? Sure, in the same way that Hooters exploits skinny chicks with fake fun bags. Nobody is forcing those women to put on cootchie cutter shorts and serve overpriced hot wings to creepy middle aged biz guys, and Andrews isn't holding a gun to folks heads to come work at his joint. So end of story, right? Not so fast Skippy........
There is always going to be someone, somewhere, at any given place and time who will find offense where none is intended. Monica Brown, who lives near the restaurant, has been vocal in her opposition to the theme, condemning it as "hurtful."
"In our public school system we've lost around 40 kids this year," she said. "It's not the kind of positive imagery that we want to promote to the kids in this community."
She added, "It's not respectful to plaster an image of a ball and chains in any African-American community." Monica, it's a fuckin Frankfurter. Last I checked Oscar Meyer wasn't a former slave holder.
"In our public school system we've lost around 40 kids this year," she said. "It's not the kind of positive imagery that we want to promote to the kids in this community."
She added, "It's not respectful to plaster an image of a ball and chains in any African-American community." Monica, it's a fuckin Frankfurter. Last I checked Oscar Meyer wasn't a former slave holder.
Second Ward Ald. Robert Fioretti insists that the name is inappropriate.
"Ruben Ivy was killed across the street from there," he said, referring to the Crane High School senior shot to death in March 2008 in front of the school, which stands about a block east of the new hot dog stand.
"Ruben Ivy was killed across the street from there," he said, referring to the Crane High School senior shot to death in March 2008 in front of the school, which stands about a block east of the new hot dog stand.
Harold Davis, a neighbor who works with nonprofit Amer-I-can program to rehabilitate ex-offenders, contends that he and many of his acquaintances are so angry about the restaurant that they can hardly discuss it without "going ballistic."
"Our prediction is: he's not going to be there for long, because we're going to have informational protests out there to raise people's consciousness about the name and its meaning," Davis said.
"Why not call it 'Second-Chance Burgers,' something positive like that?" he added.
"Our prediction is: he's not going to be there for long, because we're going to have informational protests out there to raise people's consciousness about the name and its meaning," Davis said.
"Why not call it 'Second-Chance Burgers,' something positive like that?" he added.
Granted I'm not the most politically correct guy in town, I've been known to say shit that can be seen as insensitive, and maybe this will prove to be true once again, but here it comes.
"Are you fuckin kiddin me"? A hot dog in striped prison clothes with a ball and chain is racially insensitive? A wiener joint across the street from a homicide scene is disrespectful? Giving guys a job when nobody else wants to hire them is counterproductive?
Harold Davis is going ballistic over the name of the joint? Perhaps Mr. Davis would care to explain why his non profit Amer-I-can has 588 ex-cons running around without jobs. Amer-I-can is a group founded by Football legend Jim Brown. They do some good work, but they can't do it all, and they damn sure cant find jobs for these guys otherwise there wouldn't be 588 applicants for 12 positions. So their solution is to run this guy out of business and put 12 virtually unemployable ex offenders out of work. Give me a break already.
Look, I'll admit that there are times when I get it wrong, when I see shit through my middle age white guy eyes, and I miss the mark, but this ain't one of those times. I'm looking at this controversy through the eyes of an unemployed, fairly smart, ex-convict and former criminal. If this man is willing to give men and women a break, when nobody else is, he should be applauded. If he markets that place by playing off of the ex con status, so what. Here's my prediction. These easily offended morons will run this guy out of business at this location. Andrews will move to a less sensitive locale, taking those jobs with him and leaving behind a dozen more unemployed ex offenders. Mission accomplished, noses will be cut off to spite faces, and out of work ex criminals will become a part of the crime stats in that area.
Is it just me or do the people who so readily cry foul and claim exploitation do it because they give a shit, or because they are exploiting the situation to gain attention for their own "humanitarian" efforts? Way to shit in your own nest, idiots.
As a footnote: Anyone looking for a semi talented, poorly edited, foul mouthed ex-con, aspiring gonzo writer? I didn't think so. I rest my case.
update: I also forgot to add that the owner started hiring ex cons for another business he owns. I believe 1/3 of the profits from felony franks goes to an outreach group the guy runs. here is his website http://felonyfranks.com/
Man, I would go there and take pictures! I think this is hilarious! A touron trap in the making if you ask me!
ReplyDeleteYou're right on the mark. I hope they do franchise. The surest way to condemn someone is to take away all hope. So what do these naysayers want .. the ex cons to become repeat offenders or to live off the public dole?
ReplyDeleteServe me up a grand theft foot long with mustard, pickles and onions.
Being an ex-con I too have seen to many "liberals" say that if you have done your time you should not continue to be punished. Yet they are the first ones to condem someone if they can not make it in the "real world". Just this year the PEW research reported that 1 out of 31 Americans are in the system, thats 7.6 million either on paper, or in some type of corectional insititution. The way the system is going that number will grow and then how will anyone find work. We have created a whole new class of people: rich, middle class, poor, and now ex-con. I changed my world went to college, yet doors are still slammed in my face. Ex-cons are also payed less because "they" can, and the ex has to have a job. If this guy is giving people a chance at some type of self worth then GREAT for him. Really all those that are screaming, then WHY are you not helping, Why do I still after 15 years have to answer the question- Have you ever been arrested for a felony and if so why on every job application? Life is not fair, but please do not come at me with all that liberal crap if you do not want to give people some hope. I am not saying that there are people that do not belong in prison, but not everyone deserves to be LABELED for the rest of their life. It sure is easy to talk with your mouth full and a good job, walk a mile in my shoes, then tell me who is still suffering in this "free society".
ReplyDeleteIf I ever have a business consider yourself hired. We'll be making exCONdiments in all sizes of exCONtainers.
ReplyDeleteBut the most important question is, "Are they all-beef hot dogs????"
ReplyDeleteI guess they are liberal weenies calling this project out.
ReplyDeletesometimes political correctness is so divorced from the realities of life it is laughable.
Like my late hubby used to be fond of saying, Wah, fuckin' wah. Like you say, it is a HOT DOG. A *wiener*, like my obnoxious Dachshund-Jack Russell mix would agree is a tasty snack, right after the postman's lower extremities. I think it's great, and in fact I had a similar idea, if I ever had a business I would hire felons bc they can't get regular jobs, & if I was filthy rich and could buy up real estate I would help them get housing, subject of course to some mommy-type rules -- they can't get section 8 housing either & a lot of women have kids etc. & are homeless or living in prostitution type arrangements, exchanging sex for a roof over their heads & their kids' heads bc they can't get housing waivers. It's a BIG problem no one wants to talk about. Good article, thanks MM!
ReplyDelete