Monday, September 28, 2009

The Max factor.......


You may have noticed a lack of posts last week from Tuesday on. I've been dealing with a severely ill dog, Max to be exact. He has come down with the same thing that killed Louie, his kidneys aren't functioning properly. Daily trips to the vet for IV hydration, rounds of medication, have been my main preoccupation. The outlook was bleak, but he seems to be responding, and there are glimpses of the old Max, in between his marathon sleep sessions. It's still touch and go, but the odds are swinging in his favor. He has rarely left my side in over 7 years, lets hope he recovers for another seven. Anyway, the show must go on, and I need a diversion, so, more posts on the way, stay tuned.

15 comments:

  1. Oh boy, this is hard. I know you're spending a bunch of money on your beloved dog and I would too. However, I would do one additional thing and that is to call the vet school hospital in Columbia. Teaching institutions almost always have access to the latest and best treatments for animal diseases.
    Here's a link:
    http://www.vmth.missouri.edu/

    Me and Gabe (my cocker spaniel) thinkin of you and Max.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts are with Max. I hope he makes a full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MAN, you are having a rough year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. get well soon, Max!! My dog also died because of her kidneys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any chance you have pissed someone off and they are putting poison out for your dogs...??? Just seems unusual for 2 dogs to be so sick without a reason...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous - What a crappy thing to say. To pet lovers, our dogs are our kids and thus, we do everything in our power to keep them safe and healthy. Unfortunately, life throws punches that we don't see.

    MM - Me and Spencer T. Dawg are sending good karma yours and Max's way. Let's hope for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. actually I had the same thought, or at least wondered if they got into something. I don't think anyone did it intentionally, but I don't leave them out in the yard unless Im with them now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mm,

    sorry to read about max's illness. we have a nine month old yorkie(rory) and she's the best dog we've ever had.

    is kidney disease a common ailment in yorkie's?

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, in fact the Vet says it's rare, which is why Im begining to think they got in to something. The most common problem in Yorkies is a weak trachea, so never use a collar on yours, get a harness for walks. They really are great little dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. mainstream thanks for asking. Actually he is doing much better. It's still iffy, but swinging in his favor. In the meantime he is living the high life and eating round steak, which is all he will eat now. I think this is related less to his illness and more to his ability to play me for a sap.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent news. Round steak certainly has got to help, hell it sounds like a good diet to me let alone a D-O-G.

    I forgot how old he is (6 years?), but you may want to consider hiding a half a mature dog multi-vitamin tablet in withn his round steak every day, if you're not already doing so.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.