
Almost everyone in Kansas City is familiar with the Curtis Mertensmeyer case. Curtis was the over privileged young cake and steak eater from Mission Hills Kansas. But just in case you forgot, I'll refresh your memory. Mertensmeyer admitted to being drunk, speeding on Ward Parkway, when he hit and killed a pedestrian, Daniel Reimann, 25. Mertensmeyer's mother is a lawyer, according to court documents, it was Mertensmeyer's mother, Attorney Jane Stafford's idea to evade arrest. The judge, John Torrence, said it would be unfair to punish Mertensmeyer for the acts of his mother. And as if blaming a 20 year old mans mother for his decision to leave his murder victim laying in the street wasn't enough, Torrence had more to say.
The judge also stated this unbelievable pile of horse shit, "Daniel Reimann’s blood alcohol level was three times the legal limit as he walked in the street, an extreme intoxication". The judge said this hindered his ability to avoid Curtis Mertensmeyer's speeding car. That's right, it was the victims fault. So the judge in his infinite wisdom sentenced young Mertensmeyer to 5 years, then he gave him 120 days shock time. Curtis Mertensmeyer is a free douche bag, drinking soy lattes and dining on hummingbird wings and gold infused vichy sous, or whatever the little prick eats, meanwhile Daniel Reimann is as dead as he can be. One life=120 days, seems a little out of whack doesn't it?
Curtis Mertensmeyer probably won't re-offend, unless they take the interlock off of his BMW, then he might tie one on and see if he can bag another pedestrian. That possibility isn't too far fetched, felony DUI offenders aren't always one and done. What is certain, 120 days locked up in a diagnostic center won't have a lasting effect. Being killed by Mertensmeyer on the other hand, is about as lasting an effect as there is.
Edward Tseona is currently under consideration for 120 day shock time, by,....wait.....here it comes....., Judge John Torrence. Tseona, who was 18 at the time of the offense, killed one of the founders of the Arabia Steamboat Museum, Greg Hawley, while Tseona was racing his car along 291 highway. Tseona already had racked up a string of speeding tickets prior to killing Hawley. Torrence gave Tseona only 3 years, and has left the door open for 120 day shock time. Even if he doesn't get called back by Torrence, as a first offender Tseona will be out in about 9 months. Hawley on the other hand received the death penalty for driving along minding his own business.
Lionel R Henderson violated his probation for the 4th time in July of 2009, he was reinstated on July 30th. He violated again in December. Before he could be picked up and most likely have his felony probation reinstated for a 5th time, a warrant was issued charging him with the murder of Ashley Thomas as she sat in her car on Armour road in front of her apartment. Ms. Thomas was 9 months pregnant at the time of her death. While Henderson is innocent until proven guilty, it's worth noting that had he been serving his sentence at the time of Ashley's death, she might be alive today, teaching her child to take it's first steps. Henderson has a lengthy rap sheet out of St. Louis. He violated the probation on his most recent case 3 times in 2009 alone.
The list goes on endlessly. Shock time, probation, violation, reinstatement.
120 day shock sentences, and felony probation have their place in the legal system. The kid that gets busted for some low level felony, might be able to turn things around. Sometimes you can scare someone straight. Roughly a little less than half of incarcerated felons re-offend in 5 years. Those same numbers also can be applied to 120 shock recipients. The probation numbers are a little better, but not by much. I don't have the time or resources to dig deeper, but it's a safe assumption that a large percentage of violent offenders are either currently on probation, or have been in the years leading up to their most recent offense. I'm not saying we should just lock everyone up and do away with probation, and 120 shock time. But is probation a good alternative for someone like Steven Wayne Burgess? The former Jackson County deputy who was sentenced to 14 years for Statutory Sodomy, child molestation and several other sex related crimes involving a 15 year old girl, then given probation. What kind of message does it send to the families who lost their loved ones to the hands of Mertensmeyer or Edward Tseona, when they are given light sentences, and even those sentences aren't carried out.
I ended a criminal career that spanned over 25 years. It wasn't because I had a spiritual awakening, there was no defining moment. The system wore me down, period, end of story. I watched guys who I grew up admiring, as they turned old and gray in prison. I was as wrong headed as a person could be. In the end, I knew that if I didn't hang it up, the system was going to break me off a slice of time that I couldn't possibly serve. So I walked away from the life. Once I'd removed myself from it all, I slowly came to grips with a life wasted and misspent. I turned it around slowly, and the end result was the opinionated, sanctimonious prick you waste your time reading today. Somewhere along the line I changed. So what was it that changed me? It's simple, nothing complex. Five years and several months behind walls and razor wire, and the knowledge that the system wasn't going to fuck around with me. They were serious, they weren't hardly bullshittin. While that may seem like a no brainer to most of you readers, when you are caught up in a particular life, it more often than not takes some drastic measures to give a guy a wake up. It takes years, not 120 days, or a revolving cycle of probation violations and reinstatement's.
magnificent entry today, MM. thanks very much.
ReplyDeleteAt the time of scumbag Mertensmeyer's wreck, murder, time on the lamb (with and by his Mommy) and then his "trial" and then easy sentence, I railed against it, too. I'm glad to see you cover it here and additionally glad to see you put both his and these other situations in a bigger context.
And while almost anyone can rail against the outcomes of these situations, no one blogger in the area can do it with the perspective you have.
Great job. Great writing.
Thanks for the insight.
Mo Rage
The blog
Is Judge John Torrence in one of the judge positions that gets voted on? If he is, we need to dump his soft-minded butt, and find someone who will actually enforce the law.
ReplyDeleteThe Judge Torrence situation runs much deeper than stupidity. He is busy repaying good ol' boys and $$$$ that got him where he is. Mertensmeyer's grandfather was a Mo judge himselk for thirty years. His father is rumered to have ties to organized crime- remember JB Hobbs. The deeper we dig into this corupt Jackson county justice department the more unbelievable the facts become. the Attorny General needs to step in before someone takes it into their own hands.
DeleteMeanwhile where is the judicial flexibility and compassion when it comes to minor drug offences? These are the people clogging up prisons.
ReplyDeleteAbout Mertsenmeyer...at what age do we become accountable for our own actions? I have a feeling its the same age wether your mommy is a lawyer, or not.
ReplyDeleteExcellent analysis. I met Greg Hawley shortly before his death. He was a good man and now his killer could as much as walk free. Not fair.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know about this 120 day shock therapy program but I don't think it should apply when a death is involved.
I get to see some of the worthless snits they give shock treatment to. When they lose that and have to do their backup time they are unrepentant and arrogant for the most part. "Five years? Sheeit, I can walk that down!" There needs to be some kind of test before you can become a judge, I think.
ReplyDeleteHere's another example:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/1757527.html
Very interesting note I could read here to be honest I had never had an experience like this and also I had never read something like this but is interesting. Sildenafil Citrate
ReplyDeleteCurtis Mertensmeyer has changed his name to Curtis Stafford to start fresh with a clean reputation.
ReplyDeleteNot true.
DeleteYes, True. I found him on face book and many different searches. He lives in Charleston, SC and is taking classes as a non degree student- because with his 2 felonies he can't do shit but take daddy's money. I have his address, phone #, social sec. #, phone #. He works at Butterball as a "Turkey Tech." Not quite the lawyer he was groomed to be. Still drinking and partying like nothing happened.
DeleteWhile 120 days seems unacceptable for a hit-and-run resulting in death, your bias against Curtis and his upbringing is too strong to take you seriously. ALSO, for those who do not have a history of crime spanning 25 yrs, the act of striking and killing an individual tends to change your life regardless of the punishment, especially if you grew up in an educated and privledged life.
ReplyDeleteYOU are full of crap- he's the same creepy drunk he always was. All you have to do is look into his parents lives to see the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Jane Stafford has quite an interesting history told to me by her First husband. She should have been charged for her part of this CRIME- 2 felonies before your 20- yeah I really see that educated and privledged life style worked out great for Curtis. He'll have his third felony before he turns 30- then they will throw the book at him- as he well deserves.
DeleteAlso, the man that was hit and killed by Curtis M. not only had X3 BAC, but he had reportedly been suicidal for a period of time leading up to the incident due to several personal issues, including supposedly "coming out of the closet". Now, is this significant to the sentencing of Curtis? Perhaps not. But it is cerainly worth noting and discussing in a less biased and narrow-minded manner than our shock yet part 2 author has done.
ReplyDeleteIt wasn't Daniel who came "out" it was Curtis. And no my son was niether suicidal nor #x the legal limit for What- walking- sorry no rules or limits on walking- look it up. Get your facts streight next time so you don't look like a complete jackass.
DeleteHmmmm I don't know any of the people mentioned in this blog. I'm not even sure how I happened upon this..but I must say the writer has really harsh words about someone that he probably doesn't know at all.
ReplyDeletePersonally I feel like this young man deserves another chance. I can't imagine how traumatizing it would be to hit and kill someone. I'm sure he reacted out of terror... The fact that you are giving him shit because his Mother happened to be an attorney, well, what difference does that make? Maybe she was as traumatized as he was and just wanted to save him because that is what mothers do? I try to think wow what if that was my son or even me??? I have no idea how I would react. None of us Know when we are going to make some kind of horrible mistake or just be in the wrong place at the wrong time...and poof your life is changed (or ruined) forever. I mean this kid did not intentionally want to harm that guy so why do you call him a scumbag? Unless there is more to the story.......
It sounds like it was just a terrible tragedy all the way around.
You do not know the facts so just but out- you just sound ignorant.If you knew the facts you'd know why the mother is hated and blamed by the entire KS City area. He reacted out of drunken stupidity. All he cared about was going to jail according to his 2 friends with him. He left my son to die. And yes his life should be changed FOREVER. Danny is DEAD FOREVER!!!! Stay out of what you know nothing about.
DeleteJohn Torrence is finally on the ballot this Tuesday. Time to vote him out!
ReplyDelete