Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Is that a crotch rocket, or are ya just glad to see me?


Unless you have been living in a cave, ( no Bin Laden), then I'm sure you have heard of the growing protests over Body scanners and frisking in the nations airports. Some clown has become an innerwebs sensation for telling a security dude to not touch his junk, or else he will have him arrested. Now there is National Opt Out Day.  Some douche nozzle is urging air travelers not to go through new, high-tech body scanners the day before Thanksgiving, which means they'll have to undergo pat downs if they want to board. Which in turn will pretty much grind shit to a halt at the airports that have the scanners. Of course these "Patriots and defenders of Liberty" will be just as offended by the body search. Now I realize I'm probably in the minority here, most folks probably don't like the idea of giving an X-ray peep show to some stranger, and the pat down is none to popular either.  Speaking as someone who was routinely frisked and strip searched on a daily basis for 5 years, I have to say it isn't that big of a deal. Granted being in the Gray Bar Motel isn't the same as some square world citizen  paying hundreds of dollars for an airline ticket, but stick with me for a minute and I think you might see my point.

In prison there are 2 types of body searches.
The pat down.
The typical pat down consists of holding your arms out like you are being crucified. The hack usually starts at each leg, runs his or her hands up each leg, feels your pockets, continuing up each side of your torso, across your chest, and usually down the center of your back. I was probably subjected to 3500 or 4,000 pat downs in 5 years.

The Strip Search.
You get buck ass naked. If you have hair on your head, I didn't, you run your fingers through your hair, open your mouth, show under your tongue. The hack is standing a few feet away as you do this. Then he tells you to lift em. The "em" being your package, your junk, your meat whistle, bait n tackle, what ever you want to call it. Then you turn, lift your feet, preferably one at a time. Then you spread em, the "em" in this case being the cheeks of your ass, then you squat and cough, being careful not to squat too far lest your balls touch the cold concrete prison floor. I went through hundreds of those as well.

In extreme cases the prison staff might decide to do a cavity search, except there isn't any dentist involved.  In all my years inside I never heard of anyone being given a cavity search. If the guards thought you had something stuffed in the safe (your ass) they would just lock you in a dry cell for a couple of days and let nature take its course.

I know, I know, What the fuck does some dirt bag like me being in prison have to do with a free world citizen being subjected to  an intrusive search? Plenty, so shut your cake hole for a minute and I'll splain where I'm heading.
In prison there is a small minority of cons who are more than a little crazy. If given free reign they would be running around with 2 foot long plexiglass shanks stabbing the shit out of anyone that looked cross eyed at them. As unpleasant and intrusive as strip searches and to a lesser degree pat downs are, being stabbed everywhere but the soles of your feet by some wobble head, is far more unpleasant. It's a necessary evil in a place where there are people who would just as soon kill you as look at you. While I call Prison Guards hacks, let me just say it's not out of disrespect, it's just what I've always called them. At the end of the day, if they had just stayed inside a bubble and pushed buttons, leaving the cons to our own devices it would have been a killing field inside. As with any position of authority there were cool hacks, and douche hacks, likewise with the prison population. Same as the free world.

Still with me? We live in a world where religious zealots will strap bombs to their feet, their crotch, and even up their ass. We are one of, if not the most hated country in the world. So how are the square world hacks, in this case the TSA, the Gubmint, supposed to protect us from the crazies in this world who will gladly pack their crack with explosives, or make a jock strap out of C4? You can't start targeting everyone with olive skin and funny last names. That shit won't fly in this politically correct world, and to be fair, most middle eastern types aren't out to blow us up anyway. So the necessary evil is to check everyone. If these measures weren't taken, the first time some whack job jihads an Airbus full of travelers, the same people who are bitching about Gubmint intrusion, would be up in arms because the Gubmint didn't do enough.

You might recall that I got banned from a certain airline just for cussing out some clueless Travelocity dude in India over the phone, while standing too close to the ticket counter at MCI. In hindsight, I've got to admit  it was a bone headed move on my part and I got what I had coming. It's becoming increasingly popular in this country to spout shit like "Take back our country", "don't tread on me", people toss around words like Patriot, and imply that anyone who has opposing views is somehow less of an American than  some chuckle head waving a sign and screaming along with a bunch of other nimrods holding signs. This TSA protest thing is just an extension of that same paranoid the gubmint is out to strip us of our rights and turn us all in to a bunch of Mao quoting lemmings in drab PJ's and cereal bowl haircuts. I'll be the first to admit that our country is run by a bunch of self serving ass hats, regardless of their political party. I don't trust a single politician, they are all as crooked as a barrel of snakes. That said, I don't buy into the conspiracy theory Illuminati tin foil hat rhetoric that is growing in popularity. Sometimes you just have to take one for the team. Until the mad scientists at area 51 devise a terrorist detector from secret technology derived from the aliens they keep locked up in hyperbaric chambers, everyone is just going to have to bite the bullet, walk through the machine, let some stranger feel your leg, or take a fuckin train.    

18 comments:

  1. If your point is that airports are becoming as bad as prisons, I agree with you.

    If your point is that this is justified in the name of increased safety for the general public. I wholeheartedly disagree with you. The new body scanners and "aggressive pat downs" don't increase our safety, they merely provide the illusion that our government is doing something to protect us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard about that Opt Out Day thing, or whatever. Being that this is the first year in I can't remember how long that I'll actually be traveling via airplane to my Thanksgiving destination, I'm going on the record right now with a big Fuck That Shit. I will be happy to go through whatever scanner they need me to go through in order to get on my stupid hour long flight to Chicago, so I can get there, check in to my lovely hotel, and sleep soundly before having to spend the next 3 days with my father-in-law.

    Hell, those 3 days trump any kind of scanning or feeling up the TSA folks will do, anyway. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem is that the scanners are not guaranteed to show any more than regular metal detectors. I read an article yesterday that their quick and possibly untested approval was a result of major lobbying effort by the companies who make them. So as was pointed out above it's not necessarily something that will prevent the next bombing but another pile of money being moved around with disregard to the rest of us. What will happen when the next bomber passes through the scanner-real cavity searches? Also TSA seems to employ the people who didn't qualify for McD's and give them unlimited powers. No wonder people are pissed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Customs has been employing x-rays and strip searches forever and it hasn't led to mass strip searches at the whim of individual agents. I think the hype about TSA searches being too intrusive is just that, hype. But like I said after a couple thousand pat downs and strip searches it just isn't that big a deal to me. Is it the perfect fool proof solution? No. But I've yet to hear a workable alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If, for reasons of P.C. and time/money, we can't have Israeli-style profiling and questioning of every passenger, we have to go through the backscatter X-ray or search ... But it still won't prevent ass bombs. Once again, making more sense than anyone in the media, MM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As emaw said, these backscatter xray machines don't provide any added security. They simply provide a "security show". The government can point to it and say "we are doing something". However, the only thing they are doing is increasing the bottom line for Michael Chertoff, head of the Chertoff Group, which now represents Rapiscan Systems, the manufacturer of the scanners. Oh yeah.. he was also the head of Homeland Security when these machines were pushed as "the solution".
    Of course there is also the health issue of xray exposure. But the FDA has said we are safe, and we know the FDA is never wrong. Well, sometimes they're not wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If a person was so inclined to be a molester, than a career in the TSA might be a good option.

    Watch them find someone with these machines and then go "SEE!! We told you that these things work!"

    I'm not sayin, just sayin.

    Papias

    ReplyDelete
  8. I mean, TSA workers would never allow those "nude" scans to be saved or used for anything other than looking for contraband... right?
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/bizarre/tsa-screener-cited-torture-scanner-case

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I'm still waiting to hear the alternative. We just let everyone walk willy nilly on to the plane? Then when the Airbus gets blown to shit we bitch because the TSA didnt do enough? The wifes gyno might be an undercover freak, so does she stop getting pap smears? The xray tech might be spanking it to her breast scans, so she should probably forget those as well. There will always be a minority of dip shits who abuse their positions. Considering the federal govt. broke it off in me, albeit deservedly so, I'm the last person to want to defend the d bags, so whats the alternative. I'll wait..........

    ReplyDelete
  10. "The wife's gyno might be an undercover freak, so does she stop getting pap smears?"

    You got married?! Congratulations man!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why do we need to propose an alternative to having the government violate peoples right to privacy and not to be searched without probable cause?

    The scanners don't work. Look it up. They were put in as a response to the "underwear bomber", and every security expert has said these wouldn't have caught that bomb. Security experts are now saying that terrorists will just start using "cavity" bombs, or "implant" bombs... so should we start allowing cavity searches, and full body MRI scans at airports?

    Slippery slope.

    ReplyDelete
  12. emaw
    purely hypothetical question .
    OF
    depends on where you look.
    I think I'll just take a train.
    Tough crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, unless we get the TSA to back off on this airport crap, the train stations will be next.

    http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/rail/index.shtm

    notice the blurb about advanced screening technology.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know whether you consider my opinion to be "conspiracy theory" type shit, but the government is slowly wearing down the american citizens resistance to invasive policing. They keep claiming it's for safety. Same reason for the drug war... the iraq war. The two big things politicians go to when implementing an unpopular law/regulation is either safety, or the Children.

    How the fuck did I make it this long without all those regs from DC?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with MM--it's just no big deal. You wanna' pat me down agressively in order to make us all safer--have at it. Good for you. What do I care? If it keeps some funamentalist wacko from trying to blow up a plane, terrific.

    Mo Rage

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mo Rage... how about when they decide they want to pat you down to enter your place of work? or when you want to enter a mall? Slippery slope.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, I'm opting for the train. Or maybe I'll just walk.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't wait to fly and get my TSA check up.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.