Monday, March 3, 2008

Take a ride with me through Dog Patch. Now lock your door and dont make eye contact.




So you think you know Kansas city. You have lived here your entire life and pride yourself on being somewhat of an expert on this town. How many of you know about the picturesque little village officially known as Blue Summit, and I'm not talking about a JOCO school district where all the kids drive better cars than I do. No, the Blue Summit I am referring to, is a wooded area comprised of about 6 square blocks, nestled between Kansas City and Independence. It features rolling hills, quaint homes and tight knit residents. Its more well known by another name , Dog Patch. Just east of 435 off of Truman road, bordered by a couple of adult bookstores , a liquor store and a few run down commercial buildings. Dog Patch is notorious for the breed of people who live there. So for those of you who never knew the place existed , or knew it was there but wouldn't dare go near it, sit back, relax and take a ride with me through Dog Patch. Lock your door and fasten your seat belt while your at it.






Back in the day when I was an entrepreneur( crook), I knew a few people who grew up in Dog Patch. They were small time petty criminals, car thieves, boosters (shoplifters), and low level dealers. All of them were drug addicts and or alcoholics. I didn't run with them, or hang out in the same circle, but , I knew them just the same. Dog Patch has the distinction of producing crime families. Generations of greasy, wiry, mean spirited, hillbillies. Even though it sits in the center of Jackson county, you would never know it by the look of the place and a good portion of its residents. These guys are as country as a chicken coop. The women were just as bad, and often times meaner than the men. Most of the women seemed to be in a perpetual state of pregnancy, and usually had a brood of 3 or more future Dog Patchians running around in a yard that was mostly dirt and occupied by cars in various stages of disrepair. So when I was working today and Blue Summit came up on my maps, I knew what to expect.





When you first turn off of Truman road and enter Dog Patch, you are greeted by a sign informing you that you are entering Blue Summit. There should also be a sign with a skull and crossbones that says "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter", instead the next sign you see is this one. I'm not sure if this admonition to keep your dog on a leash is to cut down on child mauling's by the numerous pit bulls in the area, or to insure that Fido doesn't end up being BBQ or a new set of snow boots .


One of the first and most striking things you notice is what appear at first glance to be abandoned, run down shacks, but upon closer inspection turn out to be occupied. Not only are they occupied, but they must have the same outsider trespassing detectors as most trailer parks. I had gone maybe 1/2 block when I noticed the telltale shifting of a curtain being pulled aside, or a window shade being parted slightly. The more bold lookouts would stick their heads out the door and glare at me. I glared back and pretended to talk in to a microphone so they would think I was five O.



On a couple of streets there were charred remains of houses, the police tape still attached to trees surrounding the premises. While the criminal element of Dog patch has remained steadfast and thriving for decades, the face has changed. In the 70's and 80's, the drugs of choice in Dog Patch were Crank and heroin. Crank, was similar to today's Meth , but it wasn't cooked by some chuckle head with a case of cold tablets and an Internet recipe. Crank was controlled and distributed mainly by Motorcycle gangs. In Kansas City, that drug market was controlled by the Galloping Gooses or El Forrasteros, more than a few of whom called Dog Patch home. While these guys were ruthless and slinging poison with no regard for the damage it caused, they knew the golden rule. You don't shit where you eat. So there wasn't anyone manufacturing dope back then. All of that changed when home chemists discovered how easy it was to cook today's Meth. The results weren't always successful, unless your definition of success was turning yourself into a human fireball and burning down the shack that your car thief Pappy bequeathed you when he OD'd on junk or died of liver disease.



I should say that in all fairness there are some normal hard working, albeit underprivileged folks who live in this armpit off of 435 and Truman road. But I would wager there are virtually none who have not been touched in a major way by the scourge of the Meth craze of the 90's and 2000's.
Here are some tips for any of you adventurous types who have a hankering to see if this place exists, or want to check up on me and see if I am taking literary liberties and pulling your leg.






Never drive through Dog Patch at night. Its dark as my first wife's heart. There are a few street lights, but I cant promise you they work. Try to have a cop like appearance. Talk in to an imaginary police radio from time to time. If they think you might be a cop they wont throw molotov cocktails at your car. On the other hand if they think you might be a bounty hunter looking for Bail Jumpers, you can expect to run over some roofing nails at the very least. If your car breaks down, do not attempt to walk out of Dog Patch. If you leave the safety of your car you may end up tied to a tree, while some guy with a single tooth that looks like a #2 pencil eraser tells you you have a purty mouf and calls his buddies to come share his new found friend. Last and not least, don't pull down any dead end streets, which is most of them. There is something unnerving about driving your car in reverse while a group of anorexic but WIDE awake hillbillies chase you with hand held napalm bombs.
****If you want to take a safer but less detailed trip google map ( 1530 Vincil Ave kansas city Mo.) then click street view. from Truman and Vincil head south up vincil, you can navigate the streets without risk of being attacked. But you cant really see quite as much detail. wander around up there, you never know what you might run up on.*****

96 comments:

  1. Holy shit. Now this is a piece of award winning journalism! Imaginary police radio..ROFLMAO

    Does Blue Summit offically exist or is it a part of KC or Independence? There's probably more code violations there than in the entire State of Arkansas...well I might be exaggerating..heh..

    Guaranteed...I'll NEVER go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been known as dog patch for nearly a hundred years and is not part of Kansas City or Independence Missouri

      Delete
    2. I know of a family that lived in Dog patch and yes she was pregnant and he was killed in my beliefs but the man who was known as Eldon Boone was a good buddy to me I danced at E.City from 96-97 so all I can say is I saw things that happened and what I say bout what i saw is what u do in Dog Patch best stay in Dog Patch. But the author of this article def. Knew what he was talking about...great writing with great description...

      Delete
    3. If you knew Eldon why don't you know his real name. It is Elvin Boone. He has been dead for 19 years.FYI

      Delete
    4. I went to elementary school when I lived in Dog Patch and if you rode that bus kids didn't play with you much... we lived at the foot of the hill and our neighbor told me one evening it wasn't dog patch there it was happy valley and I didn't cry about it anymore... but it was a sad bunch that lived there... dirty, outhouses, rats and snakes...Glad I never have to live there again!!

      Delete
  2. I think it might be unincorporated, you see a lot of jackson Co. sheriff cars along that stretch of Truman. You really have to see it first hand, it was hard to capture everything from my car window .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is unincorporated, the sign even reads, "Now entering Blue Summit unincorporated"

      Delete
  3. And those cops will pull you over and ticket you if you are even going two miles over the speed limit.

    I've heard of Dog Patch before, but never with this much detail. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soviet TV journalists filmed places like this and showed it to the people to make them feel better about their own crappy lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had forgotten about Dog Patch. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never knew the place existed and I will never visit it lol. Thanks for the informative tour. Ever think about writing for tourism magazines? :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is unincorporated too. This is the reason for the special state law that was aimed at controlling or regulating Erotic City and what they could do. I think this is the case, but not sure

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific post - thanks for the tour, the wit, and for reminding me why I try not to go near places like that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just so I can have some w.t. cred I used to live in dogpatch. lol (hanging head) Hey, where else can you rent a 3 bedroom house for 500 bucks a month! =)

    To answer the question.. the address itself was in independence and same school district.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is this where the cemetery is that Charlie Parker is buried in? Because I know there was some dispute about whether he was technically buried in Kansas City or not, and it is at least near this neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...Charlie Parker is buried in Lincoln Cemetery. It's north of Truman, on the west side of Blue Ridge; and it's in unincorporated Jackson County.

      Delete
    2. Yes...Charlie Parker is buried in Lincoln Cemetery. It's north of Truman, on the west side of Blue Ridge; and it's in unincorporated Jackson County.

      Delete
  11. the house i rented back in the day was better than what you show, but i did live there right after DEROSing until i could afford to move out and up...to sugar creek.

    not kidding.

    you nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got here through a link on the Star's web site! Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to live in dog patch also. The area may not be clean but it was FAR from and unsafe place to live. No one every bothered anyone. If it were dangerous dont you think that more people would know where it is? As far as addresses it they are KC. It is crap that you would talk so poorly about people who are just tryin to make ends meet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Actually if you read my blog, I stated there are regular decent people there. They are a minority however. There are at least 4 burned out houses, 2 of which burned in the last year, meth labs. Tell the Jackson county sherrif deputies that spend an innordinate amount of time in dogpatch that its safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually I live in dog patch as well. I noticed that you didn't go on the other side of the hill. there are of course tons of things that are most wonderful about dog patch that everyone seems to be missing. this is what I call home. I have lived there for all my life, I am able to tell you that yes it does suck because of the people that live here. I mean down the street is a farm of goats and cats and ducks, because of the fact it is unincorporated Jackson county. If you want to look my street up which is also in dog patch here it is 1900 hazel street, Kansas City, MO 64126. have fun. :)

      Delete
    2. I lived there off and on in my childhood. I have a lot of fond memories of the place. I drove though there a few years ago and noticed not much has changed in the last 60 years! The kids selling lemonade could have been me and my siblings. My mother was a single parent in the 50s and this was all she could afford back then.

      Delete
  15. I absolutely love your journies into the seldom-seens of Kansas City! I had no idea this area existed. I also loved your Quindaro post. Keep up the good work, I always enjoy your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I work just west of there. I have ventured into Dog Patch many times, your description was prettier then real life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My parents both came from Dogpatch back in the 40's and 50's. I lived there again in the 70's. (As a side note: the area just west of Dog Patch was called "Centropolis".) Dog Patch is unincoprporated.
    Dog Patch, Centrolpolis and going west along Truman road you'd find lower to barely middle class hard working honest families. There was no Erotic City, it was a nice deli called "Deluxe Market". Everyone was tight knit, kids played on every street and it was a very safe place. The houses were modest and affordable and while lacking curb-appeal, they were clean and well kept. It's sad and commonly known the drugs and alchol have always played a part in improvished neighborhoods, but Dog Patch and the surrounding neighborhoods were NOTHING like today's decimated Meth riddled community. Dog Patchs' current outward appearance simply mirrors many other communities who are all suffering under the hideous destructive force of Meth and drug addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am not from Dog Patch but my boyfriend is and it is not as bad as it seems. I am not afraid to go walking through there at night, I have many of times!!! For real you can pretty much do whatever you want there, nobody calls the cops. One thing I can say is DOG PATCH is one of a kind lol!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Where exactly do you have the right to down grade people who are not as privledged as others. One of the pitchers you posted on your add is my moms house, you pretrayed it as a METH house. She lost her husband, my father a few yrs ago and this is all she has left. She lives on a fixed income and hardly affords her medication each month. I think you need to realize that not all people have a way out. The Dog Patch in which you are referring to is full of elderly 70+ yrs what the hell do you expect them to do when the house is falling in around them. You think they planned on living in these kind of houses. No! It is home something you need to realizes is it does not take a nice home to have a happy good life it takes love and that is what you will find in mom's house. You should spend some of your time writing about all of the children getting shot in drive by shootings or are these neighborhood to dangerous for you, cause if you think that dog patch is a neighborhood that you will get hurt in then you are lacking proper education.Oh by the way the earser you are referring to with missing teeth is a cancer patient. Wow guess that thought never came to mind when you were trying to make your self look so above us. And isn't this a supprise a Methed up HILLBILLY can type and spell. What is the world comming too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where exactly do you have the right to down grade people who are not as *privileged* as others?* One of the *pictures* you posted on your ad* is my moms house *and* you *portrayed* it as a METH house. She lost her husband, my father*,* a few *years* ago and this is all she has left. She lives on a fixed income and *can hardly afford* her medication each month. I think you need to realize that not all people have a way out. The Dog Patch in which you are referring to is full of elderly 70+ *year olds*. What the hell do you expect them to do when the house is falling in around them. *Do you* think they planned on living in these kind of houses*?* No! It is home*;* something you need to *realize* is it does not take a nice home to have a happy good life*.* It takes love and that is what you will find in mom's house. You should spend some of your time writing about all of the children getting shot in drive by shootings*;* or are these neighborhood *too* dangerous for you*?* **If you think *the* dog patch is a neighborhood that you will get hurt in*,* then you are lacking proper education. Oh by the way the *earser*(Even spellcheck couldn't figure this one out) you are referring to with missing teeth is a cancer patient. Wow*,* guess that thought never came to mind when you were trying to make *yourself* look so above us. And isn't this a *surprise**;* a Methed up HILLBILLY can type and spell. What is the world *coming* to**?*

      Delete
    2. All I know is god doesn't like ugly and that is exactly what you are being "Anonymous." Is that grammatically correct enough for your egotistical and highly judgemental ass?

      Delete
    3. Anonymous # 2.... Nicely worded Valley Wells! The insignificant spelling errors recognized proved no sign of "Hillbilly" ignorance. Maybe the resident was extremely passionate about the absurd attack on her neighborhood; and then quite quickly typed without proofreading. It happens to me and I have a Master's Degree in Education. It is super judgemental and cruel for you (Anonymous) to point out such small errors. The "earser" that you nor spell check could figure out was spelled out correctly in the content of the article. Maybe you, Anonymous, should learn to read and recall. This article has no statistics correlating the residents of Dog Patch to breeding criminals. Many families have lived in this area their entire lives. They, like everyone else, have the same likelihood of becoming, or not becoming, criminals. One of the best and well known auto body shops in Kansas City calls Dog Patch "home". Paces Auto Body created the Back to the Future Delorean, the Ghost Buster Ambulance and many other phenomenal automobiles. He moved his family into the neighborhood in the 70's and prospered there. Another family lacked resources to travel back and forth to work at Lake City. He walked to and from Dog Patch to Lake City everyday for decades. Inside this neighborhood lies men and women with great potential and tremendous work ethic as well as drug addicts; something common to EVERY neighborhood. So to the writer of this article and to Anonymous, get some statistics and maybe even a logical theme to this story. All that you did was ignorantly dramatize and misrepresent an entire neighborhood based on a few observations. You bullied a neighborhood with your stereotypical words. There are criminals, broken people, and poverty everywhere. In the midst of burned buildings just as much as in the midst of politics, famous people, doctors, and lawyers. What is even more pathetic is that the rich have a greater chance of not becoming criminals and still they choose to disobey the law, ethics, and morals of the American People. The residents and the Dog Patch neighborhood were both poorly, falsely, and stereotypically misrepresented in this article.

      Delete
  20. anonymous
    type urban blight in the search at the top of this page, I've touched on every blighted area in the city, not just dogpatch. I appreciate your comments, and your ability to speak coherently, however you are dead wrong in your contention that I claimed any house to be a meth house, except the charred remains of a house with police tape. I clearly stated that there were decent but poor folks living there. The eraser tooth comment was not referring to anyone in particular, cancer patient included. This post was part parody, part social commentary, and my take. Being poor does not preclude being clean, the place looks like a landfill, I didnt fuck it up and make it that way, the people who call it home did. Now go check my urban blght posts, dogpatch got off easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in Dogpatch. It is not all bad. I am a very educated college graduate who still has family that live there. You should not speak with such distain for a place you do not know. Are there problems?...yes. Are there bad people that live there?...absolutely. Doesn't everywhere? Instead of downing those less fortunate than yourself why not highlight places for their good. I am not angry over this just sad that you seem to find pleasure in writing about places without any care as to how those who currently live there feel. This world's lack of respect for others and their genuine feeling has to stop.

      Delete
  21. "And isn't this a supprise a Methed up HILLBILLY can type and spell. What is the world comming too."

    Awww...that just made me sad.

    Anonymous, in case you're interested, those last two sentences should say, "And isn't this a surprise? A methed-up HILLBILLY can type and spell! What is the world coming to?"

    I mean, you got the typing part right at least! So that's good, right? Well done...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  22. Actually, I have been going to dogpatch for almost 20 years with my wife, who's grandmother lives in one of the houses you have shown, and there are few things I have noticed.

    First, most of the people are good folks who live below the poverty line and struggle for their basic necessities including adequate housing and food.

    Second, I have never felt unsafe even at night whether I was inside or outside my wife's grandmothers's house. I am not saying there are not issues because they do exist, but after all of these years I have never one time felt threatened.

    Last, that these people are human beings who deserve diginity and respect as such, and folks should not treat this area as a spectacle to be viewed by onlookers as if in some kind of tragic zoo. I will agree that it is true that meth has been a problem there and it has touched a number of the residents for the worse. Drugs are easily found in dogpatch if you are looking for them, but never once I have ever been openly exposed to drug use.

    I do think that an area like this should be covered and understood, but as part of the cycle of poverty in our county and of how people in the wealthiest nation in the world can live in such conditions in our city and nobody takes notice.

    To be honest, I had never heard of this site before or that it even existed until my wife's grandmother mentioned it and was hurt by some of the reactions. This is the same woman who has had offers to leave dogpatch extended to her by my wife and I as well as others and refuses because she cares for the people here. This is the same woman who routinely feeds 12 to 15 people per night so they can have food in their stomachs and not go to sleep hungry. This is the same woman who, even at her age, takes care of the children in the neighborhood for free or little money. This is one dogpatch resident who is worth knowing, and for her to be hurt hurts us, her family.

    In closing, before we condemn, mock or judge anyone we should first try to get to know some of the people living in dogpatch and understand the problems they face. We should be apalled at the images in the article, but we should look at ourselves as a society and point the fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I suffer from the same disorder as Midtown does, damn I feel the rabbit wantin' to run. I lived in KC for 10-15 years or so, I can not remember. Too foggy. But I do remember Dog Patch. Loved it. A handsome eyesore. The people were not all that dangerous, just frightful like an old dog. Keep writing and I hope to join you some day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. come on over here and let us take you for a ride. we will show you the real prople of dog patch. the ones who work every day. and try to make a living for are familys .you sure in the hell didnt show all the new homes being rebuild in dog patch. all you wanted to show was the worst of us.its not the real people of dog patch its the one who parents live in indep.and kansas city that end up here with there drug habit because they dont want to mess with there own kids. they dumb them here. you need to learn about us before you start running your mouth. we have lived here all of our lives and we have our teeth and not on dope. dont bother us and we dont bother n\know one. rember this is our home and almost everyone here chose to stay here because it is our home . so if all you have is bullshit talk . find some place else to fuck with maybe you should drive threw spinaindepence.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I will have to say that is a bit interesting for 2 reasons.
    1. I'm an former Dog Patcher, actually "Upper Patch" in my case but "Dog Patch" none the less.
    2. The area shown wasn't the area I was once ashamed and denied for many years of my life, until I finally learned to accept who I was and my roots. However, it is a bit interesting because it looks and sounds very similar to the area also known as "Dog Patch" which in this case was located in South K.C.
    I don't need to go in full detail about it, though it was similar to the blog but also good decent blue collar people. Overall, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you saying that there is another dog patch? Two of them?

      Delete
  26. This comment is late in the game, but if your neighborhood were maligned by ignorant outsiders, I think your spelling and grammar might suffer a bit in your haste to defend your home and neighbors.
    Since the Miscreant was so keen on playing the reporter, perhaps he should have stopped at a home or two and gotten first hand accounts of what it's like to live there. Of course it's much easier to make snap judgments based on rumor and the surface view, but we all know what they say about judging a book by it's cover.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am overwhelmed by the pervasive ignorance that someone would display in writing about a certain area of the city that they have never lived in. I was born and raised in Dog Patch, still have several family members there and never felt as safe and loved as I did in Dog Patch.

    I would walk by myself in this neighborhoold before I would in so many other parts of the city, including some places in Johnson County.

    As far as the dominating police prescence, it isn't due to the crime. Many of the sheriff's deputies REQUEST to work in Dog Patch because of the lack of crime and because there is little to no risk of them facing injury.

    I had also worked for the county for 7 years and know that information first-hand. I also am currently working on my 4th college degree, my Master's Degree and have also been accepted into several law schools. My mother, an RN who graduated from Park Univerity, my aunt, an Accountant and several other family members who have served in the military, ran their own businesses, etc. all were born and raised in the "Patch".

    After reading this article, I realized that ignorance is still a dominating aspect of our society. Maybe if you had been born and raised in DogPatch, you might not be so judgmental.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do your family members who have gotten their degrees and found good jobs still live in Dog Patch? I'm going to take a wild guess and say no. They worked to get out of there and probably have no regrets of leaving. Don't you think that if they were proud of where they came from they would still be living there creating a new atmosphere, cleaning up the neighborhood, and supporting the Dog Patch family everyone seems to be sp proud of?

      Delete
  28. d king,
    use all of those degrees and read the comment right above yours. That young man is one of those stellar Dog Patchians. You might also apply your 4 degrees to up your reading comprehension skills. I clearly state that there are good hard working decent folks in the area. That said, you either havent been to the "Patch" i a long time, or you are an idiot who isnt aware ofhis surroundings. There have been at least 3 meth lab fires in The patch. Those are pretty high numbers when we are talking what 50 or 100 houses?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey Miscreant, The reason you're getting so much flack is because the overwhelming majority of what you said is so terribly mean-spirited.

    Lacking the ability to deliver genuine humor, you relied on taking cheap shots people (and an entire community) in distress. It's like repeatedly kicking someone when they're down. It’s not funny, and it’s not journalism, it’s just mean and being a bully.

    In your admission that you yourself were a “crook” you go on to say “the few people you knew from the patch” were also thieves. It’s no wonder you didn’t know the "normal hardworking people" in the patch, because people like that, usually don't hang out with thieves. You also say, "I didn't run with them, or hang out in the same circle, but, I knew them just the same." Which seems to imply ignorance, and an obvious attempt to distance yourself from the people in the Patch, so just how is it you can credibly go on to make such in-depth observations about "generations" of people and their behavior if you didn’t know them?

    Only someone with long-term and intimate knowledge could make the claims you've made. So which is it? Either you know them well enough for your claims to be taken seriously; OR you've taken great liberty with the truth and in a failed attempt to be entertaining and humorus, managed instead to insult an entire community based on stereotypes and the actions of a few people.

    You said:
    "Dog Patch has the distinction of producing crime families. Generations of greasy, wiry, mean spirited, hillbillies. These guys are as country as a chicken coop. The women were just as bad, and often times meaner than the men. Most of the women seemed to be in a perpetual state of pregnancy, and usually had a brood of 3 or more. And, "I'm not sure if this admonition to keep your dog on a leash is to cut down on child mauling's by the numerous pit bulls in the area, or to insure that Fido doesn't end up being BBQ or a new set of snow boots"

    Miscreant, you’ve managed to insult the men, their wives, their children, and even the dogs! I am shocked that you’re so surprised (and defensive and condecending) in your replies to their warranted protests. However, I am not surprised that, once again, you've chosen to use insults to defend your original insults. Your “dog” seems unable to change it’s spots.

    In summary, all I can say is, I find it pretty difficult to swallow that you got ALL that information from a drive thru a neighborhood and from NOT running in the same circle as a FEW people living there, because for a man who doesn't really "know" anyone in the Patch, you make quite a few intimate (and nasty) personal "observations".

    ReplyDelete
  30. Annony
    There was a body found last week in the patch, out in the woods. Im sure it will turn out to be some guy from leewood dropped it there, and not a stellar member of the community. While I'd love to give you a lesson in how criminals from different areas can know each other, I don't have time. For the record, my stepmother and her 2 brothers lived in the Patch for 15 years. Finally, you are a moron, and clearly pick and choose what you want to parse from the post. I was writing about one element of the area. I say so, in the post several times, also in a previous post. I was writing about the criminal element. You also fail to comment on the other comments in this post, from the fine upstanding residents of the patch. If you dont like what I wrote, Isuggest you get a blog, or use one of your 4 degrees to pen a rebuttal. I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. people take advantage of our neighborhood and that is what makes this place we call home so bad

      Delete
    2. you don't know anything about here.my whole family was raised here.there all dead now.but i left for ,20years and we chose to buy here.would not live any where else.good working people do live here.

      Delete
  31. More insults? Surprise. So, I was correct, your family is FROM the patch! How did you put it? You're the one who's "country as a chicken coop!" Ha! Which goes a long way to explain your many claims of such intimate and extensive knowledge of Dog Patch. It also goes a long way to explain your apparent anger, denial and (exposed) attempt to distance yourself from your "roots". Guess you'll have to drop the superiority bullshit eh?

    I notice you insulted "dking" for not paying attention (among other unnecessary insults). Back at you. Because, I never mentioned anything about a degree. PAY ATTENTION, it's your blog... I said your comments were mean spirited and amounted to a bully repeatedly kicking someone when they're down.

    You keep attempting to defend your multiple and lengthy insults by citing ONE, count it buddy, ONE SENTENCE in your piece. Really? Why so shocked that it just isn't working for any of us? Even then, you couldn't get even that ONE sentence out without throwing in a slur, and I quote: "I should say that in all fairness there are some normal hard working, albeit underprivileged folks who live in this ARMPIT off of 435 and Truman road." (Did you include this ONE sentence as a silent "nod" to your own family, knowing they would be reading all the insults?)

    You're a big boy now, it seems pretty aparent you've insulted and verbally bullied an entire neighborhood (and others), yet you seem incabable of acknowledging that unlike some of your other blogs about blight, this one was over the top and VERY PERSONAL, (now we know just how personal it was for you too).

    You're blog seems about as "fair and balanced" as the other asshole using that slogan.

    For the record, I don't care if they find Jimmy Hoffa in Dog Patch! It doesn't negate the fact that you've been exposed as just another big bully (aka wounded child) intent on blaming, insulting and carping about you and your families meager upbringing!

    The veil is lifted and we see you.

    ps. The downtrodden and weak make for easy prey, spouting off about the Foresteros and Gooses is quite another.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Every now and again I let one of you anony trolls pull me in, so kudos for that. The only veil lifted is the one you hid your single minded retarded agenda behind. I said my stepmother and her brothers lived in dogpatch. They were kids, it was a different time and place. I never lived there, or even in close proximity. So it's a bit of a stretch for you to claim some kind of hidden shame on my part. Lets be clear about one thing, I write what I write, and I stand on it like a rock. Good bad or otherwise. My name and who I am is well defined on this blog, in the Pitch story and from my single appearance on fox 4, as well as stuff I wrote for KC free Press. Im not some anonymous clown who is obsessed over one post out of hundreds. If you don't like what I wrote or how I wrote it, that's on you. I don't care. I just let myself get annoyed over comments signed anonymous. Your not so veiled threats about some mostly defunct motorcycle clubs neither scares me or causes me concern. Check my file douche bag. I don't spook, and I don't hide behind anonymity. Signing anony in your comments just means you are one more troll with no real conviction in the tripe you spew. See ya in the funny papers kid, I'm done with ya.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm was born and raised in DOGPATCH, my entire family lived there for years still have some there.Ever heard of the NEWTON's. If tou are true dogpatcher than you have. I'll be the first to tell you it was pretty hardcore growing up there.I had over 50 family members living there at one time.I'm a very attractive lady and when I was a teenager I carried railroad rocks to the bus stop just so I could fend off the DAM predators that were hanging out at Erotic City!My father is Lonnie Newton and i'm sure you have heard of Doug Newton.I have a story to tell. I'm interested in wrighting a book about dogpatch any ideas on how I can do that. My experience living there will be with me forever.. Shell Newton

    ReplyDelete
  34. Shell
    feel free to email me midtownmiscreant@live.com
    I actually know someone who is interested in Dogpatch and might be able to point you in the right direction. Plus I'm always interested in stories about the patch.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Dogpatch is a rat hole. Why would anybody live in that dump?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived there in the late 60's it was a nice place, walked at nights a lot, never had any problems every one was nice and minded there own business.
      I am sure it has changed a lot since then . but I think this kinda harsh !

      Delete
    2. I have a couple of question for you Harley K. Do you have a family? Have you ever even been there? Do you know anything about it other than what your have read? I live there now and its better than blue springs by far!!!!!!!

      Delete
  36. "Hi guys, I really enjoyed this information about
    Take a ride with me through Dog Patch. Now lock your door and dont make eye contact. , is very interesting, I would like get more updates about this"

    ReplyDelete
  37. Dog patch is a great place to live good people
    and yes Hillbilly's
    and yes I grew up in a Nice area as a child but, dog patch is much better,
    at least you know who dog patch people are and not fake's --- like some are putting on a showing means of life !

    V.L.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Shirley LaffertyTuesday, June 22, 2010

    I was raised in Blue Summit from the time I was 11 mo old. Sure there are some problems. I have friends in Blue Springs and they had a meth house next to them. Drugs are not just a problem in the poorer parts of town. I lived here most of my life and recently moved back. I never took drugs. Never drank except socially on special occasions. This doesn't make me better than anyone else here it is just true. My father worked 50 years at the same place. The last 10 in a wheel chair. He rode his chair all over the patch. He fell over a few times and the scary people of the area gently picked him up and helped him. I think that people who are willing to stay and make the place better, to actually help their neighbors should be applauded and helped. There is a lot of good here and we need to keep helping each other. I wonder if any of you remember Jess. I don't remember his last name. We kids could go to his house and he would tell us the best stories. He was born in 1900. He knew the most amazing things and we were always welcome there. He had tons of musical instruments and he would play them for us. He would even show us how to play. These are just 2 of the wonderful people from the patch. I'm sure other people can tell more. I am not ashamed of where I came from and I'm not ashamed to be back. Shirley {Clevenger)Lafferty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey my mother in law used to talk about the Clevenger family so I assume you were one of them...her name was Bessie Stidham do you remember her.

      Delete
  39. I live here and no it is not a bad place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christopher AdamsThursday, August 13, 2015

      My grandfather was the caretaker of the Kehilath Israel Blue Ridge Cemetery back in the seventies. I stayed there the first seven years of my life. The next three years I lived a block north in a house now abandoned at the bottom of the hill. I remember my grandpa letting out the dogs. Two guys decided to come onto the property.....our Italian Sheepdog chased one up the driveway eventually bringing back part of his pocket as a trophy. The other, thinking he got by.....met our Newfoundland Cheyenne. The low bark followed by a yelled "oh shit".....and he ran for the back.....and didn't see the knee high fence between our place and our neighbor Dales. He stepped out on the porch and let off one barrel of his double barrel shot gun saying "the other barrel has rock salt". Good times.

      Delete
  40. One of the most classist accounts of a neighborhood I've read. You're doing a terrific job of sharing an outsider's view of the poor, and sustaining ignorant preconceptions of how "they" live.

    Consider how your fun little accounts reproduce stereotypes and malign your subjects.

    And then enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Yes, it is an unincorporated part of the county. No city wanted to annex it when the cities expanded to gobble up the area. It had a difficult terrain, and lower tax value properties, so KC and Indep. passed. So the area has struggled ever since with volunteer fire protection, county Sheriff as their only police service, not covered by any of the many civic services most of us enjoy. The only codes in force are ones applying to the county. One would think, that in this economic climate, Indep. might be willing to annex them for added tax revenue, but then they'd have to provide sewer, water, electric, fire, police, etc. In several statements you declared that up to three houses burned down due to meth lab disasters. Can you cite actual news stories that confirm these? Such would have been reported in print. ? Anyone's house that catches fire in that area has to depend on the volunteers getting there in time, and lately they have been underfunded, so I am not surprised that houses don't seem to make it if there is a fire of any origin. I have lived near the area but not in it all my life, and apparently I am much older than most of you, and I have never heard it referred to as Dog Patch. We've always called it either Blue Mills or "the unincorporated part of the county." There have been various names for that whole area, Centropolis, Inter-City etc. At one point they had their own newspaper, their own trolley stops, even their own beauty pageant. As small towns like Maywood incorporated and took parts of the territory away, the unincorporated part shrank. Obviously the adult stores took advantage of the county laws to exist there when they were run out of Independence proper. Yes, it is the area where the cemetary containing Charlie Parker (Bird) grave resides. In fact, the entire ridge that follows what we now call Blue Ridge Cutoff, from the Stone Bridge at Truman, south to Raytown Road, was called The Devil's Backbone in pre-Civil War pioneer times. There are six ancient cemetaries in the first mile from Truman south along Blue Ridge, and ten altogether by the time you reach I-70. Truman road was called Van Horn road back then, after Colonel Van Horn who's mansion Honeywood was where Van Horn High now sits. Before that it was called the old Lexington road, before that it was an Indian trail. Wagon trails from Indep. Square to Westport wound through Blue Mills, so did Indian trails that we call warpaths. There is a revolutionary war hero buried along there, Ledstone Noland, whom Noland Rd. is named after. There was a bridge over the Blue from Blue Mills to what we call Blue Valley Park, for many years and eight iterations before the civil war. Quantrill burned it down. Many of the oldest families that settled Jackson County chose land along Blue Ridge so they had a great view of what we call Kansas City, and they were on the highest elevation along the Missouri River valley in state. Even higher than Lees Summit. Look past the current socio-economic situation, which will just be a blink of the eye, and learn about the rich past, the heritage of the people, and the possible bright future if Indep. would wake up and see that if they annexed, and "redeveloped" the ridge, it could become a wealthy exclusive area much like The Cliffs instead of this temporary setback. Dogpatch is a trademarked name belonging to the family of a cartoonist. They vigorously defend their property, having caused an area at Bagnell Dam MO to stop using the name, due to it's licensed use at a park in Arkansas. If the Blogger wants to research an even more interesting blighted area, why don't you look up "The Notch" that existed in Indep. where the Truman Library now sits. I think everyone needs to calm down, sit back, appreciate each other, and afterwards, we'll all go the the International House of Pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably way too late to get a response, but can you give some detail on The Notch, or point out any online resources that might talk about it?

      Delete
    2. Thanks Anonymous on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 for the informative post.

      I have just one quibble in that the road going along the ridge through this area is the boulevard, Blue Ridge Boulevard, rather than the Cutoff. The cutoff only goes from about 59th and BR Boulevard in I think KC, to maybe 43rd or so.

      Thanks again...

      spongeworthy

      Delete
  42. Great place to live
    grew up in the Subs,
    same problem with crime as in Dog patch
    and good people do live in the patch along with the bad but it is like any part of the city good and bad any where .

    In fact the biggest Drug dealer ever busted lived in Dear Overland Park, Kansas

    By the way they lived in south Overland Park
    and geuss what kind of people live there

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anonymous, would you allow me to reprint your story in an upcoming street paper?

    ReplyDelete
  44. I have a solution for what's wrong with you it has to barrels and a couple of hamers.so come on back to dogpatch anytime and I'll give it to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In reference to your comment, "to barrels." Proper spelling is "TWO barrels!"

      Delete
    2. And..........don't forget hamers! Proper spelling there is HAMMERS!

      Delete
    3. What does spelling have to do with the way we live?

      Delete
  45. Everything is relative, isn't it? The people from this area seem to take pride in being dirty, uneducated and classless. They look down on those of us who are clean, educated and work hard to better ourselves. I just don't understand it. Hiccup.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well just to let you know... I am a nursing student and have lived there for as long as I can remember, it not a bad place to live. I go from dog patch to blue springs every weekend. I would have to say that the people of dog patch are a lot more down to earth and honest. They have chosen to live here for there lives. Just like you have chosen to live ware you live for your life.

      Delete
    2. Clearly being a student has done little to teach you how to spell properly. As far as how it relates to how you live? If you act ignorant and live in an area which is seen as ignorant, all you are doing is promoting the stereotypes. Not saying it maliciously, but if you want to be taken seriously, be sure to use proper spelling and grammar. Some of us who are educated find misspellings and poor grammar difficult to read.

      Delete
    3. Are you really judging someone on their spelling?! I'm an educated person and I didn't have any problem reading her comments. Being judgmental and pretentious doesn't prove anything.

      Delete
  46. I was dumb enough to be persuaded to attend a party in this shithole area. Lucky i didnt get robbed or killed.

    ReplyDelete
  47. He doesnt need permission to photograph your grandma's house!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I spent a lot of my childhood weekend's and summers in "Dog patch" as it was called back in the days. A lot of great memories, My grandma lived there as did some of my aunt's, uncle and cousins. People in Dog patch back then were pretty much laid back,Country/Hillbilly, almost ever yard had a big garden's, Some of the house's on the west side of Dog Patch didn't have bathroom's or running water, you had to go out side to the outhouse and you would have to get your water from a well. But they kept there's self's clean and there house's. Many didn't have much but what they did have they kept it neat and clean. They were hard workers and very proud people. I have a cousin who still live's there and from the way she talks they have less crime than other area's of K.c. Mo and Independence Mo.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I am also from Dog Patch and would love to tell you all about what my son's and I lived ,I know the Newton's as well and it was a horrible place and you are right about it but you have left a lot out ...Just saying not trying to be mean or hateful but there is a lot you aren't aware of as some of the things that happen,Shelly I think that is wonderful that you want to write a book your family as been through a lot of heartaches and loses,I made it out and have been gone from there for 12 year's I have visited from time to time but have been away from that life for 6 1/2 year's and now I live a different life and am clean and loving life if you have any questions feel free to email me mfisher1031@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. I grew up hanging around people from dogpatch and went there often. Not one time did I not feel safe. In fact they would've have protected me from harm. They were always nice and respectful. Yes they didn't have much but what they did have they appreciated. And would help anyone that needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Razed why?--- there are MANY good people who live there just because they are poor does not mean they do not work hard and take care of their family's
    and my wife grew up there and she is the best in the world and myself i grew up in a nice area and really like Blue Summit .Mo. .

    ReplyDelete
  52. who are you to say any of this? my whole life is wrapped up in this "horrible" place.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I honestly don't know who your mom is but this is not the community that I have come to know in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  54. well im shocked I grew up in inner-city and knew a lot of good people in dog patch also lived their a few times in my younger days now im 50 and when I go home and drive through inner-city it saddens me to see the destruction of my home then I drive through dog patch and its looking good so that tells me who stayed around kept things up not like inner-city I will always represent inner-city its in my blood peace to all love the memories wouldn't change them for anything The Newtons The Caytons The Collins The Watsons xoxoxo Tommy and Karla Watson

    ReplyDelete
  55. I'm loving the grammer... keep posting dog patch :)

    ReplyDelete
  56. Damn typo "grammar"...

    ReplyDelete
  57. Lived in that area, in the late 50's and 60's. Dog Patch is bigger than you describe. It runs from Truman down to 27th, From I-435 to Blue Ridge. You are exaggerating some when you talk about rolling up windows and all of that. You want to die just walk Independence Avenue in the Northeast after midnight, or 27 and Van Brunt across from the police station. That will do it for you. I lived in the Northeast 21 years, you name I saw it. Crud you want trouble or to see some strange stuff? Go to Mid-Town. :)

    ReplyDelete
  58. Hey will seem aweful defensive for nothing being amiss huh guy its been the dope capital of the city forever this is undeniable u sir need to live in reality not what u choose to see

    ReplyDelete
  59. Apparently the eju-ma-cation, grammar, and how some talk to others reflects from the pictures we are seeing. Verification by CHRISSY

    ReplyDelete
  60. I didn't live there but I knew a family that did, I was a stupid very young teenager who walked everywhere in the wee hours of the night, hundreds of times through Dog Patch, never did I feel unsafe but I also knew you better be a bad ass to walk those streets. Hilarious article, the folks I knew would find it extremely funny and mostly accurate. Great writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  61. I have lived in Dog Patch for 15 years and I love it

    ReplyDelete
  62. 15 years ago I lived in Bluesprings....I had recently lost my husband to suicide....I was struggling trying to take care of my family and home...just another Joe trying to keep up with the Jones...that is the only life I knew till I by chance met a man that would later become my fiance...I left my former life and all the problems behind and found Dog Patch....at first I was apprehensive about this strange and some what run down place...yes the people are poor...and yes there is crime and drugs but that is every where....to really under stand the history of this place you would have to take your self back 60 years or so. My mama in law lived here 65 years and she told me many a story about the patch....She said the land here was cheap and back than its all a lot of folk could afford....Her and her husband bought a lot here and built a shanty one room shack where they and their 5 kids lived till they built their basement which they lived in than built their house on top. Which is how a lot of folks from here did. Yes there are places here run down but there are a lot of people who do take care of their homes as we do. I took care of my Mama in law the last 15 years....sadly she passed away a year ago December...I had to move her in with us the last 6 weeks...and she begged me to go home to the house she built with her own hands the house she loved...where she raised her kids...but that was not possible...I miss her terribly....but have her tucked away in my heart and all her stories to cherish....I am proud to say I live in Dog Patch....The taxes are cheap here....I dont have to worry about my grass getting a little tall...or what color my house is...maybe some of you people that have it all should come visit for awhile and you may find out that is not the most important thing in the world...Oh and yes by the way I do work and make my own way and am sure there are also a lot of other people here in Dog Patch that do....I would much rather live here in Our little slice of heaven a little poor and happy...yes we are county...but actually in the city....with out the rules....so all you people bashing the guy for writing this article should not take it to offence...I just stumbled on it recently and I just think he was making light of it....I found it kind of amusing...a lot of the stories my mama in law told me about this place rang true....Loving it here happy to be a forever Dog Patcher....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed your story i do live here thanks and it is not as bad as people think

      Delete
  63. Well.... I grew up in the area just south of Dog Patch Blue Ridge to the east, and South of 23rd to 40 Highway. I had friends in Dog Patch and I found out years later people called the area I lived in Dog Patch as well. Hey these are poor people and being poor does not make you dangerous. The people in Dog Patch are not as bad as you portray, yes there are some bad eggs but most of them are just poor. I would rather walk through Dog Patch at night, than through a bunch of Washington politicians at night. Great writing but not exactly true.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.