I wasted about an hour this morning writing a long winded diatribe about the 550k settlement the city reached with Ruth Bates the city hall employee at the center of the mammygate debacle. I then dove into the story of the college professor who is claiming racial profiling, and the subsequent, and dare I say racially biased response of the president. I realized I can sum up both of these subjects in far fewer sentences than I originally intended.
The settlement with Ruth Bates. There is only one winner in this hot mess. Ruth Bates. The mayor cost the city 550k plus legal fees. He alone is to blame. Not Ruth Bates, not his crazy wife, not the incompetent city council. He never should have had his wife in the mayors office, period. Had she not been where she didn't belong, none of this would have happened. To ad insult to injury, the Mayor is still suing over the volunteer ordinance. His statement about "moving forward", just words from the captain of the ship of fools who run this city. As a side note to yesterdays post about the media vs bloggers. Tony's Kansas City broke the Bates settlement way ahead of local newsies.
The Henry Gates debacle. Two differing stories. The president screwed the pooch when he called the police stupid, and accused them of racial profiling. He began his gaff with an acknowledgement that he did not know all of the facts. Had he left it alone after that sentence he would have shown good judgement, common sense, befitting the leader of this country. But he showed his own racial bias. We won't ever know what really happened, it's a hot button issue in a racially divided nation. We made huge strides when this country elected its first black president, that same president just set us back when he opened his cake hole absent of the facts, based upon his own racial bias. I supported Obama, still do, but he would be well advised to act like a leader of a nation, rather than a Chicago organizer. To borrow from Al Pacino in Glengarry Glen Ross, as Ricky Roma: "You never open your mouth until you know what the shot is." It's more than a little ironic that his presidency which had made strides in healing old wounds, is responsible for reopening the same. I expected better, we all deserved better.
Yesterday the girlfriend and myself took a drive to an antique mall in Grain Valley called the Brass Armadillo. These pics were taken by cellphone, so they are a little fuzzy, but fitting I think. The picture at the top of the post is of a KKK action figure. Thaaaats right little Bubba can have his own action figure of a cloaked southern cracker!!!!!
The settlement with Ruth Bates. There is only one winner in this hot mess. Ruth Bates. The mayor cost the city 550k plus legal fees. He alone is to blame. Not Ruth Bates, not his crazy wife, not the incompetent city council. He never should have had his wife in the mayors office, period. Had she not been where she didn't belong, none of this would have happened. To ad insult to injury, the Mayor is still suing over the volunteer ordinance. His statement about "moving forward", just words from the captain of the ship of fools who run this city. As a side note to yesterdays post about the media vs bloggers. Tony's Kansas City broke the Bates settlement way ahead of local newsies.
The Henry Gates debacle. Two differing stories. The president screwed the pooch when he called the police stupid, and accused them of racial profiling. He began his gaff with an acknowledgement that he did not know all of the facts. Had he left it alone after that sentence he would have shown good judgement, common sense, befitting the leader of this country. But he showed his own racial bias. We won't ever know what really happened, it's a hot button issue in a racially divided nation. We made huge strides when this country elected its first black president, that same president just set us back when he opened his cake hole absent of the facts, based upon his own racial bias. I supported Obama, still do, but he would be well advised to act like a leader of a nation, rather than a Chicago organizer. To borrow from Al Pacino in Glengarry Glen Ross, as Ricky Roma: "You never open your mouth until you know what the shot is." It's more than a little ironic that his presidency which had made strides in healing old wounds, is responsible for reopening the same. I expected better, we all deserved better.
Yesterday the girlfriend and myself took a drive to an antique mall in Grain Valley called the Brass Armadillo. These pics were taken by cellphone, so they are a little fuzzy, but fitting I think. The picture at the top of the post is of a KKK action figure. Thaaaats right little Bubba can have his own action figure of a cloaked southern cracker!!!!!
A few more display cases down he can pick up some super sweet brass knuckles adoringly imprinted with the word HATE!!!! Not to leave anyone out, another display case held this splay legged tart. I like to think of her as Strip club Crack Whore Barbie. Why in the world an antique mall on I 70 would display a KKK figurine and brass knuckles is beyond me. I don't think the mall owners are Klansman, but I'll wager more than a few people have made that assumption and left the place in a huff. As for Crack Whore Barbie, that's just my own bias whenever I see splayed legs, tousled hair and a tutu. Hey she could just be a tired ballerina. I guess I should shut up until I know the shot.
Have a safe and unbiased weekend.
$550K for being called Maam-y?
ReplyDeleteIt's good to be black.
Most likely the antique mall leases the display case or booth to someone who then prices and displays their wares for sale. The owner of the goods is not on site most of the time. The antique mall has access to open the cases to make a sale on behalf of the owner.
ReplyDeleteanon
ReplyDeleteno doubt thats the case. My point was assumptions, appearances, not knowing the shot so to speak. That said, I'll still wager they have lost more than a few sales over it. I'm not easily offended or shocked, but even my cynical ass was taken aback at a KKK action figure displayed next to counterfiet hummel figurines and beany babies.
Gates("Don't you know who I am?") is gonna lose this one. He seems kinda dumb for being a Harvard prof. I mean, when the man asks you for ID, you give it to him. And I don't care if he's younger than you, you call him "Sir". Otherwise, he might just mess with you - just because.
ReplyDeleteI had me a GI Joe when I was a kid(b4 the Kung FU grip), but I never saw any of my friends playing with a Klansman figure. Strange..
Brass knuckles are illegal, aren't they?
What's scary about the doll case is the one in the blue dress behind Barbie - the thing looks like a ghoul. "My name is Talking Tina, and I am going to kill you" like.
You should have bought the little Klucker for Laura, it would have made a great addition to her weird collection of voodoo dolls and boxing nuns.
ReplyDeleteDaphne
ReplyDeleteThey wanted a cool 150 clams for that little knight.
I could use two pair of those brass knuckels. I think they might help my typing. Probably hell on a keyboard though.
ReplyDeleteI just read in the NY Times that the POTUS was briefed on the Prof Gates story before his press conference. Therefore, I can only conclude that he had a) set up the question with the reporter who asked it or b) prepared for it.
ReplyDeleteWith that insight, I believe he knew exactly what he was going to say which makes what he said even more egregious, and quite frankly, stupid. But, more than that, it shows how egotistical the POTUS is to think the police and now the public would question and rebuke his assessment and choice of words.
Guess he found out differently.
that KKK action figure probably is a part of bigger lynch-mob set
ReplyDeleteI would have added it to my collection too and stored it beside my Jesus Action Figure so he would repent.
ReplyDeleteSo how much did you pay for the Crack Whore Barbie? : )
You have the right in this country to call a cop any name you want, especially on your own property.
ReplyDeleteGates was and is an asshole on this issue, but the cops had no right to arrest him.
Ruth Bates, on the other hand, had better enjoy her share of the $550K settlement (minus the lawyers' half), because no one is ever going to hire her for another job.